Christmas on the streets. - Alpha's Writers Cafe

Latest

"life is about balance, and we all have to make the effort in areas that we can to enable us to make a difference" Where life can be found. -Poetry -Inspirational Messages -Life touching articles

Sunday 24 December 2017

Christmas on the streets.


╔═══════ ೋღღೋ ═══════╗
CHRISTMAS ON THE STREETS
╚═══════ ೋღღೋ ═══════╝

In the harsh cold and dry winds
of the harmattan, i sit.
My skin as dry as tinder.
The sharp pain from
my gallant cracked lips
reminding me of where I was sitting
-the streets.

I see people throttle up and down
wearing happy faces and
I Wondered what the sudden change
Could be about.
The change in season,
The change in movement and
the excitement in the air.
"What is so different about this month?"
I asked.

And all I heard was:
"It's Christmas time.
The airwaves will start ringing the jingle bells,
the long holidays,
moms and dads will take time off their busy schedule to be with their kids,
the good food and drinks,
the new cloths and shoes."

Moms and dads? 
Good foods and drinks?
New Clothes and Shoes?
Why does these words sound alien?

I guess that is because
I never got to know what
Good or new meant,
Or someone to call mom and dad.

How could I?
When I live on the streets alone.
When all I eat and drink
Is from an unclean source.
When all I have to wear are
dirty and torn clothes.
When I sleep in the open cold night.
With nothing to cover my shivering soul.

I wake up each day
With a gnawing pain in my stomach
and there's never enough
to rout the pain or even
provide a hint of relief.

They say:
"Hope is being able to see that
there is light despite all of the darkness."
And that is all I have left.

Hope that one day my life
will take a quick turn.
Hope that One day
I will get to feel the joy
this Christmas month brings
and the good tiding they say it carries along.

All I hope is to hear my bells jingle.


By: Boakye Dacosta Alpha
December 2017

▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫▫
Note:
Do you know what Christmas means to that child on the street?
Well it's just another day!
Do you take a moment to look at them as you pass them by in all joy to shop for Christmas?

This piece is just a wake up call to us all.
As we celebrate Christmas and the joy it brings, let's take time to touch a life.
Donate to homeless, the orphans, the jobless etc.

Put a smile on someone's face.

Mother Teresa said it better:
"If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one."

Call someone into your home as you cook your Christmas diner. Feed the hungry. Buy a gift for someone who has no one to put a smile on their face this festive season.

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead."
- Nelson Mandela


Have a wonderful holiday and and merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your favorite poem on this blog so far?